The Soapbox: opinion-based articles and discussions
The Commons hosts articles here in the Soapbox to stimulate discussion and help overcome barriers of science, policy, thought or practice. If you might like to submit something, please view our author guidelines.
Building upon the foundations of the TEEB from theory to policy and practice, TEEB for Oceans and Coasts has the chance to offer a critical and unique opportunity to carefully identify and bring to life the ways in which ecosystem thinking and values can change the incentives and policies that, to date, have resulted in the steady decline and loss of value of these economic engines for the planet.
- Identify policies that would benefit from better information on the economic, social and cultural value of ocean ecosystems and biodiversity
- Observe and map the societal, cultural and biophysical value landscape that links us to the oceans, identifying the underlying drivers for change;
- Connect stakeholders to the existing knowledge on oceans, demonstrating the global economic and environmental challenges, and exploring potentials for another frame of economic thought
- Develop concept designs and prototype a variety of possible solutions and evolutionary ecosystem-based economic frames
- Develop a research strategy that better leverages current knowledge, fills high priority gaps and enables improvement of knowledge over time
- Ensure the implementation of solutions and policy options is acted upon as part of a common effort and action by all stakeholders.