Good One! Communicating Ecosystem Services
I still have a hard time telling my grandma what I do. It's just hard to communicate what 'ecosystem services' are and what wonky aspect you work on. So I'm standing on the soapbox today in search of great examples of communicating ecosystem services nature's benefits.
To get the conversation going, here are a couple tidbits on communicating ecosystem services.
1) Call it anything… call it an aardvark! Just don't call it ecosystem services. In 2010, the Nature Conservancy commissioned a public-opinion survey on ecosystem services and found that people respond better to the terms nature's value, nature's benefits, earth's benefits, environmental value, and other terms.
2) Restore America's Estuaries got the memo. This report on "Jobs and Dollars: Big Returns from Coastal Habitat Restoration" is chock-full of great graphics and text in plain language.
3) Buzz buzz. Häagan Dazs launched a "Help the Honey Bee" educational campaign to highlight the importance of pollination services.
4) Nature Inc. series on the BBC World. Great videos, great messaging.
5) What's your example? Use the comments section below to write in your favorite communication examples, or perhaps a particularly vexing concept to communicate. What do you say?